Archive research and professional genealogy
Clients include authors (print and web), history organizations (including the Texas Supreme Court Historical Society and Preservation Austin), television production companies (including “Who Do You Think You Are?” and “Good Girls Revolt”), foundations (including the Austin Community Foundation), law firms, nonprofit organizations, filmmakers, private investigators, marketing firms, developers, and individuals (including one client for more than 18 years); 1993-present.
Personal and community histories
• Voices of the Violet Crown project, 2003-present. Founder/researcher/writer/designer/webmaster.
• Voices of the Violet Crown oral history project, 2007-2011. Researcher/interviewer/co-producer.
• Friends of Brentwood Park oral history project, 2010-2011. Researcher/interviewer/co-producer.
• Texas Association of Counties Past Presidents’ Oral History Project, 2009. Researcher/interviewer/co-producer.
• We Planted 115 Trees, 2011. Researcher/interviewer/co-producer/co-editor.
• A Community Mosaic, 2008 and 2010. Researcher/scriptwriter/co-producer/co-editor.
• First Night W/ Domino & Friends, 2006. Researcher/co-producer/co-editor.
• Mr. Rube: Reuben Henry Grant, 2016. Researcher/co-writer/editor/designer.
• Jim and Cora Dial: From Altamont to Aztec, 2008. Researcher/co-writer/editor/designer.
• Miss Emma, 2006. Researcher/co-writer/editor/designer.
• From Abercrombie to the Violet Crown, Community Tent history and community exhibits and companion booklet, 2003-present. Researcher/writer/designer. Exhibits presented at Crestview Neighborhood Association Ice Cream Social, 2009, 2012, 2015, and 2016; Crestview Methodist Church 60th Anniversary Celebration, 2013; and Violet Crown Festival, 2003-2010 and 2012.
• Julius Franklin Howell, historical multimedia presentation, 2005. Researcher/co-writer/designer/audio compiler.
• The Bodacious Women, historical multimedia presentation, 2003. Researcher/co-writer/designer/audio compiler.
• Voices of the Violet Crown, blog posts and articles, 2011-present.
• Preservation Austin Historic Homes Tour, booklet copy (Brentwood and Crestview neighborhood history, pages 10-13 and 37) and online description of Eddie Joseph’s North Austin Drive-in), 2016.
• Brentwood Neighborhood Association, newsletter article (Esperanza School), 2016.
• Crestview Neighborhood Association, newsletter articles, 2008-2015 (the most recent one here).
• Association of Professional Genealogists, Oral History Association, Society of American Archivists Oral History Section (page 4), Texas State Genealogical Society, and Story Circle Network; journal and newsletter articles; 2010-2012.
• Austin American-Statesman, essay (“A Woman Who Loved Animals Leaves a Legacy in Austin”), 2009.
• Mary Faye Barnes Award for Excellence in Community History Projects, Texas Oral History Association, 2009 (with Rob Burneson).
• Master Teacher award, Community College Leadership Program, University of Texas at Austin, 1993.
• International Association of Business Communicators corporate design award, 1988.
• Association of Professional Genealogists
• Texas Oral History Association
• Consultant, Genealogy Intersession, Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders, 2017.
• Contributor, Crestview neighborhood photographs and history, City of Austin Community Character in a Box, 2014.
• Presenter (with Rob Burneson), “Art of Oral Histories,” Thomas Baker Slick Memorial Library, Southwest Research Institute, 2013.
• Webmaster, Friends of Brentwood Park, 2012-2013.
• Member, Leadership Team, Friends of Brentwood Park, 2010-2012.
• Judge; Oral History Documentary Award; Texas History Day; 2009, 2011, and 2012.
• Member, Executive Committee, Crestview Neighborhood Association, 2010-2011.
• Member, Newsletter Committee, Crestview Neighborhood Association, 2008-2011.
• Co-founder, Community Tent and publicity coordinator, and event volunteer, Violet Crown Festival, 2003-2010.
• Founding board member, Project ClayPlay, 2007-2009.
• Founding board member, Violet Crown Community Works, 2003-2007.
• Silent auction volunteer, Empty Bowl Project, 1997-2007.
• Member, Review Board, City of Austin Grant for Technology Opportunities Program, 2004.
• Reunion organizer; Burneson/Schuessler/Vaughn/Winkel families, 1995, 1997, and 2000; Campbell/Smith/Stout families, 1998; Pillers/Kenner families, 2000.
• Researcher and writer; Campbell and Stout family histories, 2000; Haynes, Kenner, and Stout family histories, 1995 and 2000.