Category Archives: People

Threadgill & Beck: Friendship & Music

Austinites Kenneth Threadgill and Roger Beck shared a deep connection to our neighborhood, as well as a long friendship and dedication to Texas music. In 1933, Threadgill’s opened on the Dallas Highway north of the Austin city limits. Today, that address is 6416 North Lamar in the Brentwood neighborhood. Owner Kenneth Threadgill loved music. He sang, danced, and learned to yodel as a young man, inspired by music legend Jimmie Rodgers. For more than 40 … Read more

Posted in Events, People, Places, Wall of Welcome Stories

Crestview Minimax IGA—63 Years of Local Service

On February 29, 2016, a new grocery store, Arlan’s, opened in the space that was the longtime home of Crestview Minimax IGA. Minimax (and Crestview Food Mart before it) was owned by the Prellop family—beginning with Herb Prellop, right—and part of Crestview Shopping Center for 63 years. It was the last Minimax IGA store in Austin. In 2014, Minimax was named Critics Best Neighborhood Grocery Store by the Austin Chronicle, the store’s third such award … Read more

Posted in Community, Events, People | Comments Off on Crestview Minimax IGA—63 Years of Local Service

Neighbors-in-History, Part 3

Final blog post in this series, in which we introduce a few special neighbors-in-history who have contributed to our sense of place here. (See links for more info.) ERNEST WALTER WUPPERMAN (1907-1986) owned a veterinary practice on today’s North Lamar, north of Old Koenig Lane, from 1941-1976. Veterinarians H. M. Spangler and his son S. C. Spangler bought the business from Dr. Wupperman in 1976, when he retired. For many years it was called the … Read more

Posted in Community, People, Places, Streets | Comments Off on Neighbors-in-History, Part 3

Neighbors-in-History, Part 2

The second in a three-part series, in which we introduce a few special neighbors-in-history. (See links for more information.) RUBIN HANCOCK (about 1835-1916) was one of Austin Judge John Hancock‘s former slaves and likely lived for a time on what is today the historic Moore-Hancock Homestead, at 4811 Sinclair Avenue in the Rosedale neighborhood. (More about John Hancock here.) Rubin’s family were members of St. Paul Baptist Church in Austin, established in the mid-1870s, and … Read more

Posted in Community, People, Places | Comments Off on Neighbors-in-History, Part 2

Neighbors-in-History, Part 1

As we researched the history of the neighborhood—in newspapers, abstracts of title, the census, various websites, oral history interviews, and many other sources—we discovered more special Austin neighbors who have contributed to our sense of place here. In the first in a three-part series, we introduce you to just a few of them. We provide links, whenever possible, for more information. SARAH WALTON PARMELE COOKE (1903-2009) lived in Crestview with her son Glenn and daughter-in-law … Read more

Posted in Community, People, Places | Comments Off on Neighbors-in-History, Part 1

WABAC Machine, Part 6

Our neighborhood history (up to this point anyway!) concludes . . . (What’s a WABAC Machine? Find out here.) 2006 • November 10: Brentwood Elementary held its tenth annual Veterans Day celebration, at which students wearing America-themed hats created a living version of the 1812 American flag. Photos of it were featured in the Austin American-Statesman. (More info about neighborhood veterans here.) 2007 • April 21: The groundbreaking ceremony was held for the new North … Read more

Posted in Community, Events, People, Places, Wall of Welcome Stories | Comments Off on WABAC Machine, Part 6

WABAC Machine, Part 5

Our neighborhood history continues . . . (What’s a WABAC Machine? Find out here.) 1962 • Burkhart’s Motor Dining opened on Burnet Road; it became Top Notch (left) in 1971. 1964 • J. D. Harper became the owner of Crestview Pharmacy. 1965 • Ronnie and the West Winds—featuring Ronnie Prellop of Crestview Minimax IGA—performed at IBEW Hall on South Congress in Austin. 1973 • The Chief Drive-in (right), which opened in 1946, was torn down so … Read more

Posted in Community, Events, People, Places, Wall of Welcome Stories | Comments Off on WABAC Machine, Part 5

WABAC Machine, Part 4

Our neighborhood history continues . . . (What’s a WABAC Machine? Find out here.) 1945 • After World War II, more and more young families moved to Brentwood and Crestview, and the landscape began to change from mostly farmland and wide open spaces to neat rows of well-kept homes. (See our film A Community Mosaic for images from that time.) 1947 • Dirt excavator C. H. Lester helped dig a drainage channel in Hancock Creek, along … Read more

Posted in Community, Events, People, Places, Schools, Streets, Wall of Welcome Stories | Comments Off on WABAC Machine, Part 4

WABAC Machine, Part 3

Our neighborhood history series continues . . . (What’s a WABAC Machine? Find out here.) 1881 • The Austin and Northwestern narrow gauge railroad—later Southern Pacific—was built between Austin and Burnet, through today’s Crestview and a stop called Abercrombie. EARLY 1890s • First known appearance in print of “City of the Violet Crown” to describe Austin. 1893 • Esperanza School, an early county school first built in 1866, moved to Upper Georgetown Road (today’s Burnet Road), … Read more

Posted in Community, Events, People, Places, Schools, Wall of Welcome Stories | Comments Off on WABAC Machine, Part 3

WABAC Machine, Part 2

We begin our WABAC trip with selections, old and new, from our neighborhood history exhibit and booklet, with links included for more info. (What’s a WABAC Machine? Find out here.) ABOUT 500 B. C. • The Greek poet Theognis is among the earliest writers to describe Athens, Greece, as the City of the Violet Crown. By the 1890s, Texas writers had begun to use the term to describe Austin. In 1920, Theresa Moore Hunter published a … Read more

Posted in Community, Events, People, Places | Comments Off on WABAC Machine, Part 2